Subject: Re: Men and collecting: Germs got there first
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 8 Jun 2001 22:32:15 -0400

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Sandra Bowdler wrote:

> It took me a while to find this, but the September 1994 issue of the BBC
> Music Magazine contained an article by Germaine Greer (Germs to her
> erstwhile friends in Sydney, of whom I am not one but friends of mine
> are) entitled "Why don't women buy CDs?"

Is that not the article once quoted by Alrod (of sweet memory) once quoted
from, and in which dear Germaine compares male collectors to little dogs
who spend much of their time sniffing each other's backside?

> Here are some extracts from this typical (and typically solipsistic)
> exposition.
>
> The men I know who have whole walls of shelved CDs do buy every version of
> every symphony or sonata principally in order to own it.  The notion of
> control, of having the situation taped, is very important to them.

I just love that maternalistic tone! -)

> Women are not prepared to invest their lesser earnings in such an illusion
> of power.

Question : what would life be without its illusions?

> Both sexes recognise status by a series of signs understood only by
> initiates;  ownership is not included among the sources of status for
> females.

Obviously, Germaine is not acquainted with Hermine, whose floors are
collapsing under the weight of her piles of CDs, potted plants and
albums full  of stamps depicting dogs which her ladies' friends send her
by the truckloads...

> The November 1994 issue featured letters in response to this, both
> agreeing, and disagreeing vehemently.  There was a predictable reference
> to "feminist twaddle", and several offers to be the recipients of Dr
> Greer's unlistened-to Ring, and a suggestion she donate it to a library.
>
> Now I am off to make a Florence Foster Jenkins compilation for a dear
> friend.

Which does not necessarily mean that you completely conform to
Germaine's generous notion of female CD-buyers-who-are-not-collectors,
does it?

BTW, Sandra, are there many complete recordings of Handel's operas and
oratorios that you do NOT have? -)

Impishly yours...

Pierre