Subject: Re: More on Men and Collecting
From: hermine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Jun 2001 18:44:04 -0700

>I have a feeling that if we begin to pursue this question a little too
>much, we may end up with another *gays (or Jews) and opera* thread. -)

This is always a possibility.

>I think that, if you consider collecting in general, you will find that it
>is a predominantly male pursuit.
>
>Mind you, I used to have an aunt who collected post-cards, and I know a
>lady in my building who collects fancy packaging of fine liquors. But I
>would say that most people I know who collects SOMETHING in a big
>(completist) way are men.

I KNEW IT! i AM a man! i collect cars in a completist way! I also have so
many LPs and other records, that i am afraid parts of the floor of my
cardboard hut will collapse. I am a hopeless collector. "You are like the
Collier Brothers!" my mother used to shriek at me.

>I have often attended philatelists' and numismatists' conferences, and,
>based on what I have seen, I would say that the vast majority of *serious*
>collectors, i.e. those who are ready to spend hundreds or even thousands
>of dollars on a rare coin or stamp, are men. There are many women at those
>events, but typically, they come there with a man (husband, son, lover,
>wahtever) and it is the guy who is the collector.

Oh stamps, well, yes, small paper things. Still i have an extensive
collection of stamps featuring certain dog breeds. I get them from another
bunch of women mostly.

>sure that women collectors do exist, and I know some, but they are a
>comparatively small minority. (I am talking of adults, and not of kids
>who start collecting wheat pennies or foreign stamps at age 9, and then
>put their *collection* aside at age 12).

THIS MIGHT BE IT! although i was born sometime in the middle of the past
century, i have not yet passed through puberty.

>This being said, MUSIC is a bit special. Women love music, enjoy listening
>to it, and they will purchase CDs. Some women I know have purchased tons
>of CDs over the years and, as a result, they have ended up with fairly
>large *collections*.which reflect their tastes and experiments.

I think you hang out with the wrong women.

>But I nonetheless think that you are right. Collecting can be something
>else altogether : collecting for the sake of collecting, acquiring
>something only because it exists, only to *complete the series* (as
>opposed to catering to one's tastes and curiosity), collecting CDs in the
>way in which stamp- or coin-collecting is done, seems to be more
>characteristic of the male than the female psyche. Why? I dunno.

It simply is not true.  some of the things some women collect are
nauseating, like Beanie-Babies and what-have-you. "ICKY things".

I also collect whole genera of plants, or every plant from a certain island
nation. or PALMS and BAMBOO, all-inclusive.

excluding the fab plastic ball point pens, old knives and hand tools,
native American jewelry, "plastic objects" entire decades of cars, records
enough to crash through the floor, and a botanical gardens...
and ain't I a woman?

I know LOTS of women like me!

Some might say i collect dogs.

i have smaller collections of things and stuff, which can be contained in a
cigar box, as i also collect cigar boxes.

hermine