Subject: Re: SF Aida: Strength in Numbers
From: SUZANNE TURLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:47:53 -0700

Dear List,

Though I agree heartily with Jano's praise of last night's opening Aida at
San Francisco Opera, I think he shorts the excellence of Patrick Summers'
conducting. Patrick's attention to the details of the  big picture both with
the orchestra and the stage is a wonderment.  He drew richness from parts of
the score that often go unattended as othes have been content to keep the
musical traffic under control rather than seeking the  full extent of the
score.

Patrick  urged powerful, musical and sensitive performances from Ms Crider
and Mr Margison, who, agreed, have their inconsistancies at times. Ms
Diadkova is an Amneris for the ages, and  Mr Pyatnchko as Amanasaro is
indeed a find.  We can look forward to his Rigoletto next fall. The
strengths of all the other artists made it a muscally very satisfying
performance. Post Adler Fellows, Tammy Jenkins and Todd Geer, the Priestess
and Messenger, are testimony to the excellence of our Opera Center system.

I, too, had a few problems with the staging and choreography.  The thing
that bothered me the most was the  dancers in their diaphanous costumes,
looking  quite like escapees from Botticelli's Primavera, dancing in front
of Rhadames in the Temple scene at the end when the music is grand, full and
gorgeous and should just rock and roll on its own.  I found that very
distracting.

On a silly note; where did those two ratty looking bronzed palm trees way up
stage right behind the  4  onstage (excellent, no wrong notes) horns in the
Triumphal Scene come from?  Were they refugees from Frank Sinatra's Twin
Palms estate in Palm Springs?

This was the first time the 1981 production has been properly re-staged, as
it was rudely interrupted by the 1989 earthquake and again by the move to
the Bill Graham during the House rennovation the only other times it has
been done.

Opera lovers, this Aida merits a trip to The Opera House, absolutely.

Cheers,

Suzanne