Subject: Favorite new young singer? NEW TOPIC!!!
From: thekler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:11:09 -0400

OK, I'll try to start a new thread.  I'd love to hear from listers who they
think is their favorite new young singer, any category, that the lister has
heard in the past 5 years.  I'd also like to hear why s/he likes said singer
and what role/s are likely suitable for this person, and what you'd like to
hear her/him sing.   Let's talk for a while about singers whose career is
mainly in the future.

This is an important topic for me, and not just a "filler" between the
winter opera season and the summer festivals.  After "suffering" through my
husband's obsession with opera for 30 years, I became really turned on to it
by hearing a younger Bryn Terfel sing Wolfram a few seasons ago.  Young
singers I enjoy today are mezzo Stephanie Blythe, who I like for her great
agility of voice, and the size and beauty of tone, and Rene Pape, whose big
beautiful mahogany/bronze tones and fabulous acting (both vocal and
physical) are matched only by his handsome good looks.  I've heard Blythe
only in recital, and she seems to have a voice that can sing anything from
Rossini to Wagner to jazz.  Pape also seems to have great flexibility in the
types of roles he's singing--from oratorio to King Marke, Rocco and
Escamillo.  I'd love to hear him sing Wotan.  Hell, I just wish he'd make a
CD of arias.

Cheers,
Toby Hekler

awaiting the Tanglewood season here in the beautiful Berkshires