Subject: Re: La Scala Turdandot
From: "Ed Streim (the other Ed)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:51:44 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/01 5:39:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> , J. Botha was excellent as well....I liked him better as the Calaf
> than in the one role I have heard him sing on the Met broadcast...last
> year, was
> it not?

I'm not certain it was Botha, the tenor sure sounded like Nicola Martinucci.

Any listers have positive knowledge?  I know the cast listing said Botha, but
the legato and phrasing sounded to me like Martinucci, altho Martinucci
usually takes that optional high C at the end of Act 2.

Ed Streim