Subject: Re: Mimi's Apothesis
From: Margaret Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:17:02 -0400

Milo Morris wrote:

> I am currently involved in a production of Puccini's
> LA BOHEME. I got a shock at the conclusion of Act IV
> in today?s rehearsal. The director's instructions are
> thus: The music concludes. The lights go to black. A
> spotlight hits Mimi's dead body on the bed. Mimi rises
> from her death-bed and walks (followed by the
> spotlight) off the stage and up the center aisle
> through the house. The idea being that Mimi walks off
> into "the light."

> I have a BIG problem with this.
> QUESTION
>
> As a performer, I am accustomed to doing basically as
as I am told

> Our Stage Director (SD) seems committed to the staging
> described in the case above. Should I offer my
> arguments as a counterpoint for the SD to consider?

I assume you're hired help?  Then you must know the answer
and are just venting to us.  Because it's career suicide to
tell a stage director his/her ideas suck.  The director sure
isn't going to agree and doesn't want to hear that from a
cast member even if you were "right"!  The only one who gets
away with doing that is the pereson who hired the director!

If this is a freebie you can presumably find a way to bow
out of the production and let another singer get the chance
to shine.  Otherwise, all you can do is warn your friends
not to come, or to leave after the last intermission.  You
can consider the list warned....Though I'm sure most of us
have experienced many worse concepts than that one in the
opera house and paid a lot more money to see them.  For an
example, check out the Opera-L archives by searching on the
name "Robert Wilson" and "Lohengrin" in the same search.
Hey, if the big stars can suck it up, you can too!

Peggy

--
mailto:[log in to unmask]