Subject: Otello Recordings
From: Roy Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 May 2001 06:31:33 -0700

I agree that del Monaco was an exceptional Otello. The
recording that convinced me of del Monaco's prowess as
the Moor is a live performance from the Met...circa
1958. I don't have the CD with me so bear with tenuous
recollection of facts. The other cast members are
Victoria de los Angeles & (I think) Leonard Warren.
Del Monaco is white hot in this performance, and de
los Angeles is a very affecting Desdemona and Warren
is good-old Warren.  Del Monaco is much more "alive"
than in either of his studio recordings. I think he
may have been one of those artists who reached his
full potential in live performances. Did the studio
inhibit him in some way? In my opera collection, this
Met Otello holds primacy of place among Otellos.

{PS I had to go to Zurich to get this recording...so I
guess that makes me a smuggler in international
contraband}

Roy "Traffic" Wood