Subject: A new Canadian contralto
From: Barbara Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 May 2001 21:05:38 -0400

Dear List:
After the end of our recent two-week opera trip to Vienna and Prague with
the Friends of the Canadian Opera Company, we spent an extra week visiting
old friends in Switzerland and Paris. One highlight of our visit was a lunch
with tenor Eric Tappy and his wife, arranged by our hosts.
M. Tappy told us that he was on the jury last year at the Queen Elizabeth
competition in Belgium. Apparently a first prize had not been given for
about fifteen years, but last year the Canadian contralto Marie-Nicole
Lemieux stunned the judges with her performance, and she was awarded a
first. He asked me what we're doing in Canada to produce so many fine
singers!

After returning home I noticed that Stratford Summer Music, a new music
festival in conjunction with the Shakespearean festival, has invited Ms.
Lemieux to perform here. Her recital takes place on July 25th at 11:15 am.
If you are planning a Stratford trip, or are within driving distance, this
is an opportunity to hear one of our future stars. At fifteen cheap Canadian
bucks per ticket, it's well worth the effort.  Barbara Baxter in Stratford