Subject: Tom Savage Memorial Service
From: Marco Schmid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 May 2001 10:36:47 EDT

Dear Listers,
yesterday was the Memorial Service of Tom Savage who was a long time listmember and contributor. I had actually never met Tom in person but we spoke many times via IM or Email and we also had mutual friends. Sadly, we never got to meet even though we had talked about it many times I was so hoping he could make it to see Madame Vera in March but he was not feeling well and his partner was going away the next day and he wished to spend the evening with him (which is of course understandable). I was not expected to be moved as much as I was and it actually started when I read the very sad news of his passing on the list. I recall that my parnter was actually never to me while I was reading the first email and I had told him all about Tom and how we never met. From the moment I walked into the Church and was handed the programm with an insert of pictures of Tom I felt a warmth coming from this person. I am a Pisces and very intuitive and can usually tell right away if I am going
 t!
o get along with someone or not.
 I feel very unfortunate now and that I did not make more of an effort to get together with him especially since we first started talking about a year ago. I remember even seeing his name on the list before that. How could one not remember the screenname TristanNY. Musically of course we had a lot in common too and I felt a shiver as I heard the first selection from Siegfried. The most heartfelt and eloquent speeches came from two dear and longterm friends of Tom, one is Patrick Giles who is also on our list and one was by Jocelyn Maskow who went to college with Tom.
Aprile Millo was also there and sang a beautiful rendition of Schuberts "Ave Maria".
Fellow opera listers who were there included Don Levine, Ken Benson, Bob Rideout and of course Patrick Giles.
My deepest sympathy goes to all of Tom's family and his friends.

Marco Schmid
(who like Tom loves gardening and flowers too..in addition to Mara Zampieri and Leonie Rysanek)