Subject: Re: BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TERESA STRATAS
From: Gene Gessert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 May 2001 22:11:49 -0400

Just to add further to the beautiful remembrances of Stratas.  Yes I was
there the 2nd night of the MET season in 1988 when she sang all 3 heroines
of the TRITTICO.  Giorgetta was a very good role for her, I think she liked
the character-- Stratas portrayed her as a real 40's kind of woman, and it
worked.  She was slutty in the role-- and it is there.  No one else has
ever brought that role alive for me, no one.  SUOR ANGELICA was heart
wrenching-- because Stratas herself is so tiny she looked like the little
child herself, that and how she behaved with la zia Principessa, completely
fearful and terrorized.  She did the Lauretta well, but she has too much
substance for the role.  Then there was the year she really did not cancel,
1994, and her Liu with G. Jones as TURANDOT was sensational, they were both
way beyond us all and over the top, I don't remember who the tenor was, it
did not matter, the chilly, molten hatred of Jones against the pathetic
Stratas who brought out the slavegirl aspect of the role in a bizarrely
convincing way, well unique, Callas could never have sung this role as
well, granted she was a TURANDOT.  Her New Prioress in DIALOGUES was
moving, like I told her, you cannot act true faith, it was radiant and
heartfelt with every ounce of her 90 lb. body living her deep faith-- this
is wonderful and rare.  And then as I have mentioned before her Composer in
ARIADNE which changed forever how I see this opera, every other Composer is
Salieri to her Mozart-- such youthful petulance as only an adolescent
genius can be writing impossible coloratura arias because he adored the
highest notes-- this was not lost on Strauss either.  Happy birthday, and
I, too would love to hear you sing The PIQUE DAME countess.

GG