Subject: Met Verdi on TV - not...
From: Mort Jonas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 May 2001 22:21:28 -0400

I'm out in the "boonies", with no TV reception.  Anyway, the local public
television station didn't show the Verdi videos last evening.  (I would have
gone to a friend's house to see the telecast.)    So I pulled out an old
tape of a "Pavarotti Plus" concert from Avery Fisher Hall (not sure what
year - mid-80s, I guess), and indulged in a Verrett/Milnes Macbeth duet, a
gorgeous Verrett/Pavarotti Tosca Act I duet, some wonderful peak-years
Pavarotti singing (especially M'appari from Martha), Plishka and Pavarotti
hamming it up in the Act I Nemorino/Dulcamara scene from Elisir, lots of
pretty singing from Mariella Devia, etc.  So I too was enjoying some of the
nostalgic pleasures of the operatic past.

Now when are we going to see the whole Scotto/Vickers/MacNeil Otello?  It
seems like most of the historic performances that exist on audio or video
tape have emerged eventually, so I imagine this will too.  (For example, I
clearly remember the first time I saw ANY video footage of Callas on TV.  It
was in the early 80s, and having been a fan of hers for the prior 15+ years
without ever seeing her live, this was a great milestone in my operatic
experience.  There were a few excerpts from her Hamburg concerts, and the
very end of Tosca Act II from Covent Garden with Gobbi.  That's a scene I
had listened to 100 times on the various recordings, and the drama was even
better than I had pictured in all those listenings.)

Reminiscing (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the good old days, and yes, we have great new
days too...  For example, Hampson in Doktor Faust this season at the Met.)

Mort Jonas
outside Asheville, NC