Subject: Re: Race in Opera
From: Barry Brenesal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 May 2001 21:35:47 EDT

In a message dated 05/31/2001 8:12:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> But race should be irrelevant in opera.  I
> am waiting for the emergence of a Black Corelli or Bastianini.

I strongly concur with Howard's post, one of his best (in my opinion) to
date.  I would only add that there *has* been a rather Bastianini-like black
singer, but he unfortunately died young of heart failure: the Maori bass,
Inia te Wiata.  He recorded very little before his death, but I've heard
perhaps two albums' worth, and have one of them.  He was a major loss to
opera, and song.

Barry Brenesal