Subject: Millo in Gala
From: Louis Perraud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 May 2001 16:28:54 EDT

      Aprile Millo got a lot of criticism on the list for her corny acting in
the Met Verdi gala televised last night; the friend I was watching the show
with went so far as to call her a `dishonest artist.'  But taste, as a
distinguished list member once said, is in what you are willing to forgive,
and I would be willing to forgive even more outlandish stage antics for the
sound I heard from her. She has that rarest of voices, the warm, dark, full
Italian lyrici/spinto, and not since Tebaldi (whose sound  she sometimes
uncannily resembles) have we heard one of the heavier Italian roles sung with
such effulgence in the lower and middle register. The upper voice, though
perhaps less spectacular, is still excellent, and the high C at the climax of
the aria was assured and secure.  To my mind, she put the ladies who sang on
the Met Verdi broadcasts last season into the shade, and, if she sounds live
like she did last night, she should still be at the Met, even if she makes
her stage entrances doing cartwheels.

Louis