I really enjoyed last night's telecast...
- Troyanos and Scotto in the DON CARLO scene (I adored
Troyanos and relished hearing her again in such
- Vickers, MacNeil and Scotto in the OTELLO scene (I
love Vickers and was thrilled to see that telecast--I
never saw it before as it came just a year or so
before I first went to the MET and started listening
to opera regularly; I also enjoyed Scotto in this
scene--she didn't sound as much like, as she usually
did, a passionate, deeply-felt, rather exciting,
albeit tiny-voiced lyric soprano suicidally singing
roles entirely too heavy for her).
- Price in the AIDA scene (I was in the third row of
the orchestra section of the MET watching her face
during that scene... I will never forget it).
- Oddly, Millo in the BALLO scene (she almost sounded
in that telecast like the luscious, real spinto she
believed she was and, in general, was actually not!).
- Chernov in the STIFELLIO scene (God, what a gorgeous
voice--what a waste).
- And Pavarotti in all... I worship Pavarotti,
despite his excesses and wrong choices.
[log in to unmask]
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35
a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/