Subject: MET Verdi Compilation
From: Karl Joseph Ufert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 May 2001 10:27:21 -0700

I really enjoyed last night's telecast...

Favorite moments?

- Troyanos and Scotto in the DON CARLO scene (I adored
Troyanos and relished hearing her again in such
passionate music).

- Vickers, MacNeil and Scotto in the OTELLO scene (I
love Vickers and was thrilled to see that telecast--I
never saw it before as it came just a year or so
before I first went to the MET and started listening
to opera regularly; I also enjoyed Scotto in this
scene--she didn't sound as much like, as she usually
did, a passionate, deeply-felt, rather exciting,
albeit tiny-voiced lyric soprano suicidally singing
roles entirely too heavy for her).

- Price in the AIDA scene (I was in the third row of
the orchestra section of the MET watching her face
during that scene...  I will never forget it).

- Oddly, Millo in the BALLO scene (she almost sounded
in that telecast like the luscious, real spinto she
believed she was and, in general, was actually not!).

- Chernov in the STIFELLIO scene (God, what a gorgeous
voice--what a waste).

- And Pavarotti in all...  I worship Pavarotti,
despite his excesses and wrong choices.

BEST!  Karl