Subject: Re: Duet for Two Cats
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 30 May 2001 19:21:32 EDT

In a message dated 05/30/2001 5:07:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> !
>
>     Can anyone give me any particulars about Rossini's <Duet for Two Cats>?
> I know there must be a recording out there somewhere.  Anyone know the date
> it was composed and perhaps for what reason (did he have any singers in
> mind)?

Lynne and List,

Rossini's DUET FOR TWO CATS uses music of Rossini, but was not put together
by him.  According to Patricia Brawner, "Rossini was fond of a good joke, and
he was well aware how popular some of his opera music had become.  He might
have enjoyed this pastiche, in which a certain G. Berthold cobbled together a
"Katte-Cavatine" by C. E. F. Weyse (a Danish contemporary of Rossini) with
themes from Rossini's OTELLO."

There have been a few recordings of this piece of the years, the most
infamous being that by Victoria DeLosAngeles and Elisabeth Schwartzkopf.  The
most recent version was recorded by Rockwell Blake and Gerard Lesne on the
EMI disc of Rossini Melodies EMI 7243 5 55614 2 8.

Regards,

Jon Davis