Subject: Re: Vilarfication
From: Mike Fekula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 May 2001 20:14:10 GMT

> Travel broadens, Marc, especially where opera is concerned.  If the Met is your only experience, it is an extremely limited one.  The same problem afflicts Alberto Vilar's philanthropy.  He tends to be a size queen where gifts are concerned, concentrating his largesse on the world of "Big Opera" whether in Europe or the United States.
>
> Andy

Andy--

I appreciate your comments, but this is getting to the heart of the problem I have with the critics of Alberto Vilar. It is not the amount of money that he is donating, nor is it the fact that he wants recognition for his donations, nor does it have anything to do with the deeper meaning of the spirit of giving. Those criticisms are a red herring.

The REAL agenda here is where he spends his money. The producers/fans of smaller companies are whining that Mr. Vilar has not recognized them through his donations. They expect him to have the values of an avant-gardist and/or small opera company aficianado. However, when he sticks with the proven product of a large company, now all of a sudden he is dismissed as a size queen, as you put it, who doesn't really KNOW opera and could not possibly care about the higher art as much as his critics. And of course, his critics care more about opera than the rest of us Philistines will ever understand.

I am not buying it. They just want his money and if he does not come through with it, he is just another ignorant fat cat, exploiting the opera world for his own personal aggrandizement.

Well, it says here that Alberto Vilar is making the safe bet, giving his money to people he knows will deliver. Since he made his fortune in technology investments, that does not surprise me. He is not going to give his money to the operatic version of the dot.com road kill that can be found out there. That is his right to do so and if the shoe was on the other foot, I would be doing the same thing.

Mike Fekula
Washington, DC

Runbox Mail Manager - www.runbox.com
Free online email application