Subject: Berlin Festtage Questions & Problems
From: Terri Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 May 2001 06:34:00 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2001 5:06:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I have never been inside the Staatsoper in Berlin and would appreciate the
> advice of any regulars from that house as to the acoustic and view and
> comfort right at the top of the house (third balcony fourth row centre)
> where I have a provisional reservation for the first Wagner cycle next
> March/April. The view is not tremendously important as I am not a great fan
> of Harry Kupfer, but the sound is. I would be interested to know how high
> the ceiling is in that part of the theatre and whether there is access to
> the rest of the house. I remember finding out after the San Francisco Ring
> that places at the top of the house had a far better acoustic than my
> expensive seat !

The Berlin Staatsoper has an acoustic enhancement system.  I experienced its
delights just days ago at a performance of Salome.  We were in the rear of
the 1st rang links and throughout the performace heard (three of us~the 4th
has diminished hearing at upper ranges) a high-pitched squealing noise from
one of the speakers.

I'm not very familar with electronic sound reproduction so I can't classify
it reverberation or feedback or anything else.  It was excruciating to endure
and so distracting that it ruined the opera for me.

The Intendant has by now received my letter of complaint which was mailed the
 morning following the performance.  Should he respond, I will post it here.
Should he ignore my 1st letter, I will follow up until I do hear from him.

The theatre was built around 1790 so expect a minimum seating comfort level
for a 21st century size body.

Cheers,
Terri Stuart