Subject: Web Audio Broadcast Messages; also (Semi)-Stagione
From: Rob Gonzales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 May 2001 13:03:27 -0400

Lane and List:

In the interests of bandwidth, many posters like myself tend to use an
informal shorthand. Hence the line:

Tomorrow on RAI-3 at 20:30 CET / 14:30 EDT / 11:30 PDT:

states that on RAI-3 (the Italian classical radio service that web-streams
a great deal of its programming) is featuring the program at 8:30pm Central
European Time (the time zone for most of the European Continent) ; and
being in the US, I also include the two most populous North American time
zones.

I was remiss in not remembering that, with RAI streams being featured often
on the list, newcomers might not have had the chance to put the URL in
their BOOKMARKS (Navigator) or FAVORITES (IE Explorer), so here goes:

 >http://www.radio.rai.it/radio3/

Happy listening, and please post your impressions if you do tune in.

- - - - - - - - - -

Isn't the description for what houses like the Met, Hamburg, and La Scala
do "Semi-Stagione" - that is, overlapping series of multiple operas?

When I first learned about this, houses like the Geneva and Barcelona were
offered as "classic" stagione houses, that is, no opera production had its
opening night until the previous one had finished.

A house like Vienna, where you might have twenty operas offered in a single
month, with no chronological sequence, was offered as the textbook example
of the repertory system. The ability of a house to do "rep" was said to be
contingent on the existence of a house ensemble (and therefore a need not
to rely on "guest" singers" ) whereas at stagione or semi-stagione houses,
they're essentially all guest singers.

Rob Gonzales
mailto:[log in to unmask]