Subject: Some other Stratas movies
From: "Wolman, Kenneth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 May 2001 09:14:37 -0400

Re: Stratas on stage and on film, I forgot three things.  One, of course, is what I suppose is a benchmark performance of the 1982 Boheme with Carreras.  Princess Leia hairdo aside, Stratas set a standard for Mimi in that performance that defined heartbreak.  She was magnificent.

The second...I hope people will adjust the details I have based on rumor alone...is her in a film of Salome.  I believe this was made in about 1974 with Bohm, and featured Astrid Varnay as Herodias, Hans Beirer as Herod, Bernd Weikl as Jokanaan, and Wieslaw Ochmann as Narraboth.  Reportedly, Stratas learned the role strictly for the film because she had no intentions of singing it onstage (has she ever anywhere?).  It is not a Ewing bachelor party version: that is, Stratas stays clothed, and she can't dance to save herself.  But--the impression you take away from this thing is of one sick little nymphet, an amoral monster whose essence Stratas located from the inside so she doesn't need to rip her clothes off and move around.  Her face and vocalisms tell the story, and it's one you don't want to hear or see too often because I find it even more sickening than Hampson's great performance in Dangerous Liaisons.  The effect she projects also registers in the reactions of the ot!
her characters, especially Weikl's Jokanaan...a mixture that seems about 90% revulsion and 10% lust (where did I get those numbers? I made them up).

And there is also the Zeffirelli Traviata.  Controversial?  Probably.  The triumph of mise en scene if nothing else: lovely to look at, views of Paris and the 'burbs that fit the music.  Stratas looks consumptive and, except when she's reaching for top notes that she doesn't have, sounds wonderful, characterizes the desperation and absolute loss of this woman who knows she's dying and is looking for something in her life to compensate at the last for living in a "populated desert."  I'm not even going to bring up the "illusory ending."  Beyond her, the casting choices are interesting, to say the least.  Domingo could still do Alfredo, though he projects too much of the grown man to make me believe he's as big a schmuck as Alfredo needs to be; but Cornell MacNeil is simply dreadful as Germont Pere, and it's merciful that the music is cut.  Double negative: he didn't have NOTHING left in his toolbox because when Francesca da Rimini was revived around the same time he was in st!
upendous form in a far more declamatory role that was kinder to his voice and those still-in-place tenorish high notes; and a year later could play a "bad cop" Scarpia for all it was worth.  But to stick him in a film as Germont that late in his career was absurd.

Ken

Kenneth Wolman
Merrill Lynch/DCSS
570 Washington Street