Subject: Re: The Met in Japan
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 May 2001 12:13:59 -0400

At 02:29 PM 5/28/01 -0400, Jason wrote:
>...  "Metropolitan Opera"
>signifies opera as a social and economic Everest.  Which means that it
>is often less an art form, more an expensive and luxurious commodity.
>Across Lincoln Plaza New York City Opera is doing its best to offer an
>alternative to the Met's
>"trophy opera" and the audiences at the State Theater are beginning to
>reflect the change.
>
>I don't think it is necessarily the Met's fault that they attract a
>certain kind of audience -and after all the money is good- but they
>don't do much to keep this type of consumer awake or raise their
>sensibilities.  Audiences would still flock to "Carmen" and "La Boheme"
>if they were theatrically respectable productions instead of Demotrash.

I find the MET's audience far more homogenous than Jason does; indeed the
audience at LULU is very different than the one for BARBIERE or
KHOVANCHINA. And I feel that the MET, particularly under Levine, has moved
in progressive repertory directions not unlike the balance at NYC Opera.

As for affordability, the MET has over 1100 seats in the balcony and family
circle priced at $50 and $30 most nights.  Plus standing room for $15 and
less. You can't see a Broadway show for those prices, and they are also
lower than most of the NYCity Opera prices.

"I never know," Harry said, "what's the difference between a Stalagmite and
a stalactite?"
"Stalagmite's got an "M" in it," said Hagrid.

Jim Bodge  [log in to unmask]