Subject: Re: Race in Opera
From: John Craton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 May 2001 22:31:02 -0500

>  But race should be irrelevant in opera.

Forgive me for a second post within 24 hours, and also for reposting a
statement I made once on this list about three years ago, but I felt it
important to reiterate the point. Concurring fully with Howard Hood's
closing statement, I feel that as opera lovers we should go to hear the
voice in the performance, not to sit and contemplate the color of the
singer's skin.

John Craton
http://members.home.net/john.craton