Subject: Martin Bernheimer
From: Arnulf Zweig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:41:31 -0400

I've been reading music critics since the days of B. H. Haggin (that
eccentric but sometimes deeply insightful writer in The Nation)  and
even tried to do it myself for 5 or 6 years, for a newspaper that
allowed maybe 300 words per concert.  I just want to add my voice in
strong agreement to the letters of Jerry Kleinsasser, Bob Rideout,
Peggy Houdek and others whom I may have overlooked in praise of
Martin Bernheimer's excellence as a writer and critic. I have always
sought out his articles, knowing that they would be informative and
judicious, and that even when I might find myself hearing things
differently, it would be fun to read Martin's thoughts. I can think
of few professional critics writing today who are in his league, in
either erudition or charm. Which is not to say that I don't also
enjoy the sometimes vehement but interesting reactions of folks on
the opera list as well. Let many flowers bloom.

Arnie