Subject: Bernheimer review of Met Parsifal
From: Jason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 6 Apr 2001 07:44:05 -0400

Martin Bernheimer, writing on the Met's Parsifal in today's Financial
Times
(http://globalarchive.ft.com/globalarchive/articles.html?id=010405001261
&query=Parsifal), doesn't say anything that I haven't heard from the
majority of people in the opera world (I am not talking about the
uncritical coterie of Met fans): i.e.  the production is ugly and
clueless.

It is perfectly legitimate to question a production of Parsifal that
tries to present it "as is."  What "is" this opera about anyway?  It
certainly has nothing whatsoever to do with traditional Christianity
except in a superficial and rather smug way.  Sorting that out should be
the first chore of any contemporary production.

The Met isn't the best place to see music drama these days and Wagner's
last opera certainly deserves something better than the present
monstrosity.

Jason