Subject: Re: Bernheimer reviews Met's Parsifal
From: Albert Innaurato <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:00:53 -0700

--- Mark Iding <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Loca Telli  wrote:
>
> >>Martin Bernheimer, you should be ashamed of
> yourself.  Why would you
> raise this lie one more time at the beginning of a
> review?  What difference
> does it make to your review how old the singers are?
> <<
>
> True enough, but what really bothered me about this
> review is that
> Bernheimer obviously has a deep seeded disdain for
> the work which disallows
> any objectivity and approaches the irrational
(respectful snip)>

Being a creature (well actually two creatures if you
take my Siamese Twin Mae Enid into account) of great
self restraint, I was not going to notice this. Much
that is stupid gets published in all areas of
journalism and that has always been the case.

However, this is an Opera-List. I am glad somebody
caught Bernheimer and was willing to accuse him of
what in my opinion the 'review' reeks of. Worse, it
has the form of substance but is about nothing but his
"been there done that" 'tude. I find it obnoxious in
all his "writing". Bernheimer does not hide his light
under a bushel but he does hide any information his
might possess (?) under a ton of self congratulation
and promotion. I thought his hatchet job on L.
Bernstein appaling for that reason.

But then again, didn't they give the Pulitzer Prize to
the monkey that spread HIV?

Emma Albani