Subject: Domingo Rumor (Was: Bernheimer reviews Met's Parsifal)
From: David Danoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:46:48 -0400

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Howard Hood wrote:

> why don't these lies stop?  His birth certificate in Madrid confirms that
> Domingo was born in 1941 as he says.  If anyone has hard evidence to the
> contrary, come forward and make the case.  Otherwise, shut up already!

        IMO, the really odd thing about this rumor is that it doesn't make
any difference to one's perception of the man: if he's really older than
he says he is, then 1) to his fans, his accomplishments should be even
more impressive, while 2) to his detractors, he might seem even less
impressive...but it would also mean he'll be likely to retire sooner. And,
by the same token, if he's really younger than he says he is...same
difference. That is, no difference. If you like him, you'll still like
him. If not, then still not.

        I can't see how this is something to get steamed up about. In fact
I can't see how this is something to even take notice of. I join Howard in
wondering why Martin Bernheimer saw fit to revive the hoary old rumor in
his Parsifal review--but I also wonder why anyone pays any attention to
this rumor, or why anyone would have spread such a rumor in the first
place. It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's not like we're talking
about some kid lying to get into R-rated movies, or somebody falsifying
their date of birth in order to avoid service in the army, or in order to
claim a bogus membership in the AARP, or in order to run for public
office.... Why would an opera singer's age be relevant at all to the
singer's fans? Such a silly rumor to spread!

        Now the rumor I heard, that Sr. Domingo was seen accompanying a
very tipsy and boisterous Condoleeza Rice on the way out of a seedy dive
in Adams Morgan at about 3 a.m. this past Saturday morning, that's a
different story....

                David Danoff