Subject: Re: Roswaenge 'Ariadne auf Naxos'--it IS on CD
From: "William A. Fregosi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2001 08:00:43 -0500

Brian Morris wrote:
>Yes, there really is a recording, although I'm not aware that it has found
its
>way on to CD.

It did, on Preiser #90259.  It is a single disc as the prolog is, indeed,
missing.  Miliza Korjus, by the way is the Najade.

I hesitated when I saw this in Tower several years ago as Ursuleac is one
singer, above almost all others, whose reputation and career I haven't ever
been able to understand.  In the event, this recording gave me an inkling
that she actually had a viable voice, one that you might actually want to
hear in a role like Arabella or the Countess in CAPRICCIO.  The others are
very good and Kraus is in typical form, which I mean as a great compliment.
 II have always been very happy to own this set, incomplete as it is.
ARIADNE is a vedry special opera for me and this performance is a fine one.

Whether the Eddie Smith release was "dim" sonically as Brian says I cannot
say but the sound on Preiser is present and very clear, along with the
light halo of surface noise unfiltered as is Preiser's custom.  The voices
are warm and full.  A
lovely ARIADNE.

Bill Fregosi

William Fregosi
Technical Coordinator for Theater Arts
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

E33-201                         (617) 253-0862
M.I.T                                   (617) 258-7149  FAX
77 Massachusetts Avenue         [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA 02139