Subject: Lucine Amara Birthday
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2001 18:16:39 EST

  How many singers have we taken totally for granted and after so many years
we realize that they have retained so much of their original talent? Carlo
Bergonzi,Roberta Peters,and Jerome Hines..all in the 70's bracket are three
in this unique category, and today is the 74th birthday of Lucine Amara, who
stil lretains the freshness of tone after over 50 years of singing!

         Yes, i know she was a "house soprano," a rather negative appelation
we used in the early days, but how many performances did she save and how
many times,in the correct repertory, did that really gorgeous and creamy
voice fill the Met with wonderful radiance?  I was told that she will be
singing a recital in NYC on may 11 at the Liederkranz Society, 3 East 87th
Street, but I do not know how to get tickets, since the sponsor is another
group..Perhaps someone knows more than I and can help?

   I did call her this morning,since I had made her some tapes at one point
and I had been in touch in the past, and I wished her a happy birthday,
remarking on the uniqueness of her career, and the amazing fact that after
all this time,there is so much voice there..how many of the "oldies" have
fallen into this category? May we all wish he our best and hope to see her on
the 11th. My best  Charlie