Subject: Ernani Warner-Fonit Reply
From: Michael Barozzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:21:23 -0800

Hi Bob,

First of all, my e-mail site was swallowed up by another vendor so I haven't been able to get on it.  I returned to this other site address, [log in to unmask], that I was forced to leave when this site changed to a new software full of bugs.

I don't know the catalogue number for the Cetra "sound-rebirth" Ernani set with the creme colored cover.  I traded most of my old Cetras for store credit at a used CD store.  I think the series was called CETRA GOLD, or something like that.  My advice is to buy the new Warners.  Where did you hear that Warner-Fonit was using older remasterings?  Something doesn't make sense.  One of the surprises on the latest Warner issues is the presence of audience noise.  There was none, that I ever heard, on the Cetras.

A few years ago I had bought the creme-colored Cetra Ernani with the sound birth system.  As much as I loved the performance, it had a harsh sound.  After buying a couple of the new Warner-Fonit Mancini opera sets, Aida and La Battaglia, I was so impressed with the remastered sound AND THE PERFORMANCES, and since these new pressings were so inexpensive, I decided to replace Ernani, Il Trovatore, and I Lombardi (Mancini is not on this recording).

I don't know if the new incarnations are using the older masterings.  I do know that the sound, to my ears, is warmer, Mancini's top is less harsh, and all the singer's voices do not sound like they are in a vacuum.  The vacuum sound or lack of atmosphere was most prevalent in the previous I Lombardi CETRA pressing.

The backside information on the slip and jewelcase of the Warner-Fonits says that they used the original masters for the remastering.

Other outstanding remastered editions is the Mancini Trovatore (I had owned the original cd edition (purple/blue cover) that had a distant sound to it).  Now the voices are present.

Another new remastering worth owning is the Marinuzzi conducted La Forza del Destino with Caniglia from the early 40s.  I had orginally has this on Grammaphono 2000, the worst Italian CEDARIZED CD label.  The Warner Fonit edition was a revelation.

Bob, I think that what atmosphere that was in the radio studio when these performances were broadcast was filtered out when they were on vinyl and early cd pressings.  The older sets are really not a bargin.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

Michael