Subject: Re: Swenson
From: "E. Lowery" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Mar 2001 20:59:50 -0500

Actually I heard her live both in Manon and in traviata after not hearing
her since Romeo and Juliette a few years ago. With Traviata I was very
shocked at what seemed to be a sudden and noticeable vocal decline - she
was often quite flat, her  high notes were almost nonexistent, her
colaratura was labored - she sounded very mature and wobbly too! I thought
maybe the role was just too much.

As Manon she was not quite as poor as Violetta, but still way off the beam.
All the same problems as the Traviata, and no charm either. What has
happened to that beautiful colaratura voice??? I was very disappointed
because I have liked her in the past but maybe as Manon sings La jeunesse
passe... But she seems too young for this to be happening. Maybe it is the
wrong parts, I don't know, but it was not just on the radio, in my opinion.