Subject: Re: Digital storage of opera recordings
From: Peter Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Mar 2001 11:33:09 -0600

I think the issue with minidisc is the compression aspect of its
technology.  You do not capture everything of what you are recording,
therefore you cannot ever retrieve and play it back.  You lose a percentage
of what you begin with, whether it is an old mono recording, or a shiny new
digital performance.

If you wish to capture as much as possible of what you have in your
archives, minidisc will not do as well as burning onto a cdr.

I have a minidisc system, and a full-scale cdr setup.  The first thing I
copied on minidisc was a 1920's aria by Pertile, and I was disappointed at
the easily perceptible loss of quality, despite the fact that what I was
copying was an old recording.

Pete Wilson