Subject: Re: seattle listers ok?
From: DAN KESSLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:48:19 -0500

On this morning's "Today Show" on NBC, the Mayor of Seattle was interviewed
and said that the Opera House would be closed for possible damage.

Can anyone amplify on this.

----------------
Last night's "Cosi" at the Met left me feeling I should have stayed home.
I left at half time.  "Cosi" is one opera that can really sail into the
stratosphere if you have great and glamorous singers which, unfortunately,
were absent last night.

I'm thinking in particular, about those wonderful performances I heard in
Vienna in the 50's and early 60's as given by the famous "Vienna ensemble"
that used to exists at that time - Schwarzkopf, Ludwig, Streich, Dermota,
Kunz, Schoeffler and Bohm in the pit.  Actually, the Aix performances with
Stich-Randall, Merriman and Leopold Simoneau at about that time were also a
treasured memory, not to mention Wunderlich in the role of Ferrando in
Munich later on.

The orchestra played well under Maestro Patrick Summers and I suppose if
one did not have any better memories to fall back on, last night would have
been an acceptable evening in the lyric theater.

Dan Kessler