Subject: Re: The Great American Opera? (was: Re: Baby Doerevisions....)(warning: lon...
From: Margaret Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Oct 2000 23:19:55 -0400

I think Menotti's The Consul needs to be on the list.  It exemplifies one of the major
political ideas of our century - the individual vs. a soulless bureaucracy, with a little
oppressive totalitarianism mixed in to make it life and death (and real for our century).
It's also incredibly effective in the theater, with a great dramatic role for the soprano,
and has some nice tunes, too.

--
mailto:[log in to unmask]