Subject: Re: Licia Albanese - Puccini Foundation gala
From: David McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:28:04 -0700

Mort Jonas writes . . .

>Braden Mechley asked what Barbara Cook sang.  A Rodgers and Hart song (sorry, I
>don't remember which one), followed by the Sondheim song that I always think of
>as "The coffee cup," but which is probably called "Am I losing my mind?" or
>some such angst-ridden post-relationship introspection.  Terrific stuff!

    Indeed, the song is called "Losing My Mind," my favorite Sondheim song
from my favorite Sondheim show, FOLLIES (having posited BABY DOE as the
Great American Opera, can I posit FOLLIES as the Great American Musical? The
competition, admittedly, is a lot stiffer. On second thought, let's keep
that can of worms unopened.), in which it was sung--unsurpassingly--by the
dear, departed Dorothy Collins.
    Something very much to look forward to is that List member Jon Alan
Conrad is preparing the critical edition of FOLLIES (which could potentially
contain as many variora as Michael Kaye's HOFFMANN edition), one of the
most-revised scores in American musical theatre, surely. Perhaps it will
answer such questions as: When and why did the two solo violins in the
prelude and postlude of "Losing My Mind" get replaced by (Bleah!) celesta?
    David McKee