Subject: R: Fidelio
From: Giuseppe Sottotetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:59:29 +0200

> Florestan did not say the whole line, "Oh, meine Leonore was hast du fuer
> mich getan?"  <snip> And Jacquino did not cry, "Vater Rocco! Vater Rocco!
Der Herr Minister ist
> angekommen! <snip>
> And those wonderful words, "ist alles bereit? "Ja" were gone as was the
> whistle that summons Pizarro <snip> Now I ask you, how can you do Fidelio
without those lines?

IMHO something that sounds like Fidelio but that isn't actually a "real"
Fidelio.
I own a video recording of Fidelio from ROH conducted by Dohnanyi and
directed by Adolf Dresen. This director decided to change the spoken
dialogue altogether. IMHO a disgusting result and I cannot stand such a
performance.
In Italian theatres the spoken dialogues of Singspiel are viewed as the most
boring part of the opera and everybody tampers with them. It's usual to
eliminate all "unnecessary" sections of the dialogues or - even worse - to
add some Italian sentences just to ease the bore. Sometimes someone proposes
to translate them in Italian, and someone tried even to give us a
multilingual singspiel (Oberon at La Scala some years ago). Such attempts
have made me realize that the dialogues of the Singspiel are essential to
understand and enjoy  the opera.

Giuseppe Sottotetti