Subject: Ovations for Schnaut & West
From: Wolf Janson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:41:25 EDT

Hello everybody,
I wrote some days ago the following words and I received an interesting
answer from London. Especially Frances Henrys very nasty words about Gaby and
her appearing at Govent Garden seemed to be not shared by most of the
audience in London.
Best.........Wolf
<<  To call her voice "ugly" and not
 "full of character" or something like that could be an interesting question .
 That's not Ms. Schnau'ts fault or problem. I guess that you will have the
 same problem with Mr. West's voice. You should know early enough that luckily
 he will be a Tristan with a characterful voice and not a beautifull one. Have
 fun. >>

I do so agree Wolf.  In my view this was one of the best performances I have
been to for a long time.   West gave us a marvellous third act - no problems
with stamina - and Schnaut has such a way with words, so much "bite" and
understanding.  I would MUCH prefer to hear these two instead of
Heppner/Eaglen.  This is another Europe/USA difference I think.

To be fair both Schnaut and West received extended ovations last night,
something everyone has omitted to say, and I personally loved Wernicke's
abstract approach.  It was derived from Brangaene's first warning, about it
all being a dream which is just how it was staged.