Subject: Re: The Great American Opera??
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:19:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/2000 5:57:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< John Ardoin's notes in the Naxos set plead for a modern recording of Merry
Mount. >>

Roger and List,

Well, a recording was made of the Seattle production of a few years ago.
Unfortunately, union negotiations etc. have had the recording sitting in
limbo ever since.  I've heard the tapes, and they certainly would make a
wonderful contribution to the recorded America Opera Repertoire.

As to the "Great American Opera" - I really think that PORGY AND BESS
certainly occupies that position.  However, I must make mention of
Liebermann's recent opera THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY.  It's been quite a
while since I have been so impressed with a contemporary score: it actually
has arias, ensembles etc. - - and is one of the few modern scores that I look
forward to hearing again and again.  IMVHO, it far outshines Gatsby, View
from the Bridge, Streetcar, McTigue and several other recent endeavors.

Regards,

Jon Davis