Subject: Re: I HAVE A PLAN . . .(WORLD OPERATIC TOUR)
From: David Danoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:00:21 -0400

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Val Suan wrote:

> I am embarking on a ONE YEAR OPERATIC WORLD TOUR.
> Yes, Im gonna take a sabbatical/hiatus from work
> (meaning resigning from my job as a nurse)...and going
> around the world attending operatic events and
> performances.

        This sounds like a great idea! I think _exactly_ what the world
needs is a population of fanatical, wandering mendicant opera lovers!

        I can see it: a day when the upper reaches of the Met would be a
sea of yellow--hundreds of saffron-robed opera monks congregating in
family circle standing room. Or the market outside Covent Garden filled
with them, all tapping their wooden bowls and empty champagne glasses,
begging passers-by for alms before the performance.
        From October to April would be the time of wandering, crowds of
them following the highways up and down the American east coast, or
criss-crossing the rail-lines through Germany, or touring all the cities
of Italy.... While in the summer they'd have to retire to isolated camps
at music festivals outside Santa Fe, Bayreuth, Salzburg, to wait out the
dry season, to fast and pray and listen to records in their tiny cells....

        Maybe Tower Records could offer cots and simple accomodations in a
back room for the wanderers? There could be soup kitchen facilities at
standing room lines in every city. Or maybe we should think bigger...?
Working together, we could transform, say, the YMCA near the Met into an
opera monastery.... We could spend our days there at useful tasks: mending
costumes, copying manuscripts, translating Moedl's or Nilsson's memoirs
into other languages, archiving tapes of performances--preserving the
legacy of music through the dark ages! Then, at dusk, trooping over to the
opera house for worship....

        Such a life, gathering treasures in another world.

        (Seriously, though, Val's plan sounds like lots of fun, and I wish
him the best of luck. And I mean no offence to existing monastic religious
orders or their adherents.)

                David Danoff