Subject: Haydn Nelson Mass & King Tut
From: john Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:59:20 -0400

> From: jonathan sternberg
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:06:17 -0400
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Haydn Nelson Mass
>
> My attention just called to your posting inthe Opera list. Since I
> conducted the recording
> in question and ...
      Jonathan Sternberg

Dear Sir:

I can not tell you how much this recording influenced me.  I first heard it
as not quite a teenager.  It's beauties led me buy by mail Hayden's "Orfeo
ed Euridice," from the Hayden Society.  When I mentioned the opera to opera
lovers, I was firmly informed that Hayden wrote no operas.  The lovers of
higher-music-only told me that the composer of 104 symphonies would never
have lowered himself to so base an art as opera -- besides [note the use of
logic] anyone who composed 104 symphonies would never have time to compose
an opera.  When the new Hogwood recording appeared, I bought it before I
read a single review  -- unusual for me.  I can not compare new to old,
because I can not find my old Hayden Society copy.  I think [but am not
sure] it came on some bizarre combination of 10-inch LP's.

BUT...among the 14.2 shelf feet of 12-inch LP's that survive the invasion of
the CD from a 90-shelf-foot collection, I found my beloved copy of your
recording of the Lord Nelson Mass.  During this archeological expedition, I
shared the feelings exhibited at the moment King Tut's tomb was opened just
a crack.
Lord Carnarvon:  "Howard!  What do you see?"
Howard Carter:  "Wonderful things."

In other words, a lot of the stuff, such as the Steber "Faust" have not been
issued on CD.  I note that "The Fair at Sorochinsk" has been under
discussion recently.  I have a recording on Angel-Melodiya, SRBL-4117, which
presents itself as the "First Stereo Recording," conducted by Yuri
Aranovich, with the Moscow Radio Chorus and Orchestra.  Gennady Troitsky
[strange name for Soviet days] sang Cherevik.