Subject: Ref.: Re: Gheorghiu, Norma. & the Last Prima Donnas
From: Enrique Subercaseaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:47:22 -0700

> Comes to show how tragically perverse and debased things have gotten.  An
> industry-wide conspiracy?  You bet.
>
> Gabriel Bocanegra
> Boston

DEAR LIST,
Perverse indeed !!.

I was told that during the recording of Marcelo Alvarez recently released Tango´s disc, he was approached by one of SONY´s top executives and offered to record the Otello.  It seems the tenor counetroffered one or two other titles, that the executive did not know too well...... .

On the issue of Norma, let the Diva do it, and then we judge, we shall have a
good time then.
What we seem to forget is that in singing light and shade are essential to the dramatic delivery. And this must be accomodated into the music demands. That, and only then, it is the moment when a voice is either too big or too small for a role.
At the studio even Bartoli would have the notes for Isolde. But what about the light and shade required to shape the delivery into something meaningful ?
Perhaps that is why so many artists seem cold and meaningless when they sing: do they posess the required vocalita ?

As we await for Angela´s Norma, we shall revel with La Scala´s opening night: Il Trovatore, conducted by Muti, with Licitra and Barbara Fritolli.  I wonder if he will play the Italian national Anthem.

Best regards,

Enrique Subercaseaux.