Subject: Re: Gheorghiu, Norma. & the Last Prima Donnas
From: Gabriel Bocanegra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:13:56 -0400

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:52:07 EDT, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I guess that some may be interested, or even shocked, by the idea of the
>Verdi, Berlioz and Wagner concert which Cecilia Bartoli is scheduled to
>give at the Berlin Philharmonie on 13th April next year!

This is shocking indeed.  But no more than Bartoli whispering to the press
"Renee Fleming has an Italian voice."  I ask, how so and since when?

But what else can we expect from a day and age that applauds and makes
presumably serious music critics rave of Bocelli's amplified version of "Di
quella pira" (because he could never sing the role complete, never mind w/o
a microphone), at the expense of real tenors?  What else can we expect when
presumably discerning conductors like Mehta, Maazel, Gergiev, Ozawa, and
Sinopoli affirmatively legitimize him by collaborating?  Or is it seeking to
refill Philips' coffers?  What else can we expect when Bryn Terfel chooses
to crossover from Universal Classics to strike smiley face poses with SONY's
Charlotte Church?  Or does the farm boy enjoy the company of sheep?

Back to Fleming.  Frankly, I find the prospect of her Imogene far more
ridiculous than Gheorghiu's future Norma.  At least the latter seems to
be in command of the ability to ape another famous Norma's sound and style
down to the last bruise.

Comes to show how tragically perverse and debased things have gotten.  An
industry-wide conspiracy?  You bet.

Gabriel Bocanegra
Boston