Subject: Benjamin Sosland, tenor to watch
From: "Auerbach, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:20:25 -0400

At the Marlboro chamber music festival in Vermont last week, I heard a
remarkable young tenor, Benjamin Sosland, in two works: a set of Monteverdi
duets for two tenors, and the Neue Leibeslieder Waelzer of Brahms.  Although
he had very little to do in the Brahms and the Monteverdi was short, he made
quite an impression.  All the musical attributes one looks for are there:
phrasing, diction, even "acting" although this  was a concert setting. What
was really special, though, was the timbre of the voice, a creamy
clarinet-like tone which sounded exactly the same at the very bottom and the
very top.  He has the high notes, but they don't screech  and the low notes
don't get growly. (What is impossible to judge in a small hall with
excellent acoustics is the size of the voice.)  That he is extremely
handsome will not hurt his career either.

I was able to speak to him very briefly after one of the performances and
asked him is he sang opera. He said: "Not much yet, but I'll being doing
more."

A brief Internet search revealed only one recent performance. Does anyone
know anything about this very promising young artist?

Cheers,

Richard