Subject: Re: Santa Fe ERMIONE
From: Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Jul 2000 00:42:21 -0400

"James W. Eaton" wrote:

> ... Antonacci called this
> role her own for a long time and for good reason - Brenda Harris - whom I
> heard recently as Semiramide in St. Paul was not bad and June Anderson
> has recorded the grand scena commercially - this leaves one or two others
> notably the alternate in Glyndebourne who replaced Antonacci opening night
> whose
> name I cannot remember at this moment....

The replacement was Linda Maguire.  Linda lives in Toronto and is a
frequent
performer here specializing in (but not restricted to) baroque and 19th
century
works.  She has a lovely voice and anything she sings makes me happy.
She also
sings in Europe and the United States.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation had arranged to broadcast a
recording of one
of Antonacci's performances as part of their regular "Saturday Afternoon
at the
Opera" during the Spring, Summer and Fall drought when there are no
broadcasts
from the Met.  Luckily for us, Ms Maguire substituted, so the broadcast
we
received was our local girl at Glyndebourne.  She performed well and was
well
received by the audience.

Frank Flower
Toronto