> Is anyone familiar with a composer named Francois Bazin?
Bazin, Francois - 1816-1878.
- entered Paris Conservatoire in 1834
- won the Prix de Rome in 1840
- his first opera in 1846 - Le trompette de Monsieur Prince proved successful
- his best known work is La voyage en Chine
- taught at the Conservatoire from 1844, taking over from Ambroise Thomas
- theatrical career gradually eclipsed by that of Massenet
All the above from the New Grove Dictionary. Maitre Pathelin is the 5th entry in the list of works (of 9 performed + 1 unperformed), all opera-comiques, all premiering at the Salle Favart, Paris.
Among his students was Catalani.
Paul den Ouden
OPERA : A Philatelic History http://home.prcn.org/~pauld/opera/