Subject: Don't forget baritones & bassos
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:52:05 EDT

                     Two of my all-time favorite singers have birthdays on
Saturday,July 29.
  I was "weaned" on the old RCA Trovatore with Pertile and the fabulous
baritone Apollo Granforte (1886),who sounds much like his name..a
"Gran-forte' voice. Along with Riccardo Stracciari and Titta Ruffo, I have
always considered Granforte one of the trio of "force-of-nature" Italian
baritones, the likes of which  do not exist in any shape or form these days.

                      The second of my favorites ,the magnificent Ludwig
Weber, was born on this date in 1899. In my estimation, no Gurnemanz has
exhibited the combination of beauty of tone and warmth of interpretation, and
along with Cesare Siepi and Norman Treigle, Weber is one of my favorite trio
of basses in my listening experience.

                   Let us never allow the "divo-diva' status of tenors and
sopranos to overlook the likes of the great baritones and basses who surely
rank high in the history of the vocal art. We never hear about concerts by
the "three baritones' or the "three basses." I do appreciate the
Ramey/Hampson CD entitled "NTA"(no tenors allowed) because it alerts us to
the importance of the "other voices" that surely deserve recognition. I list
below a few more of my personal baritone/basso favorites for your
consideration:

  Richard Bonelli
  Lawrence Tibbett
  Gabriel Bacquier
  Jean Borthayre
   Jose Van Dam
    Pavel Lisitsian
    Leonard Warren
    Giuseppe Taddei
    Paul Schoeffler
    Michael Bohnen
     Georg Hann

    Tancredi Pasero
     Gottlob Frick
      Kurt Moll
       Giulio Neri
        Rene Pape
         Nazareno de Angelis

                                  and more...and more.....  as ever Charlie