Subject: Ultimate soubrette from hell
From: Lulu de la Nausée <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:40:27 -0700

My dear Brian and others,

Yours is a most amusing "take" on Lulu.

The soubrette is my least favorite type, but I adore the role of Lulu!
However, the major exponents of the role have not been soubrettes despite
some very high notes.

"From hell" is most likely the male point of view.  I'm sure many women
recognize her behavior as the result of a strong, free spirit living in a
male-dominated, repressive society.  In situations such as Lulus, in which
the men are "irresistably" drawn to her and do not take responsibility for
their own actions, often the women is assumed to have supernatural powers,
like a witch, "from hell."  This does not happen overtly, of course, in the
opera, but it does take the "demon" Jack the Ripper to overcome her.

The difference between the characters of Lulu, who makes her own fun, and
Marie, who is more or less stuck, (... not to mention their costumes...) is
probably greater than the musical difference.

your Lulu

next?

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html