Subject: Re: [Dinosaur-L] Amanda Campodonico
From: Tom Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:03:05 EDT

In a message dated 07/26/2000 11:30:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< On behalf of a friend, I would greet any information about a mezzosopran
 born in Rosario (Argentina) who by 1898 sang in Teatro Bellini, in Italy.
 Regards
 ---
 Enrique

Dear Enrique, Bob and fellow dinosaurs:

I had received the same request from the gentleman who is working on
Campodonico, and had already sent him details on the Santiago de Chile season
last night (the same as those posted by Bob, plus some others--see
below)--obtained from my good friend Juan Dzazopulos of Santiago.

She also sang at the Liceo in Barcelona during the first part of the 1896-97
season (the data are from the Italian theatrical press and an advance copy of
Jaume Tribo's coming book on the Liceo):

Dic. 25, 1896 Laura nella Gioconda con Tetrazzini, Giraud, Blanchart, Luppi.
Campanini dir.
Gen. 9, 1897 prima locale di Samson con Cardinali, Puiggener, Luppi

Other operas in  Santiago (1902) include:

2 sett. Samson con Franceschini, Pacini, Thos
18 ottobre prima locale di Hansel e Gretel con Galvany

She did not sing at the T. Marconi in Buenos Aires.

The T. Bellini is the one in Naples where she sang Orfeo (Gluck's) on Aug. 2,
1898. A book on the theatre was published in the very late 1980s with very
little publicity. It was apparently not carried by the usual Italian book
dealers,  and I was very fortunate in that an Italian friend was able to get
me a copy.

I plan on checking various other sources as time permits.

Cheers

Don Tomasso