Subject: Marisa Galvany, a great singer
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:56:57 EDT

                   Well,so what if you can't handle the truth (again)...I was
just re-doing my "Art of Marisa Galvany" pot-pourri cassette, and i just
couldn't help screaming and yelling (what else is new?) that she did some of
the greatest singing in a wide variety of bravura roles that these ears have
ever heard; I am not simply speaking of those phenomenal E flats and E
naturals and the well-known remarkable chest tones, but also the exciting
emotional involvement, the brilliance of the delivery, the abandon with which
she sings...and the trills in Sempre Libera and even in a place we rarely
hear the trills  ("Ora..son forte...vedi..sorrido) and the warm middle voice
in Medea and the attack on the "Giudicis" in Bolena,the remarkable "fil di
voce' final D flat in the Macbeth Sleepwalking Scene and the Attila aria that
no one in my memory ever bettered.....Are you tired yet?

          Marisa (Mia..Mayra...whatever) is but one of the singers who never
got the kind of recognition she deserves... except by the audiences that
carry on like mad (and I do not just mean me, as I really screamed my head
off on some of these recordings.). I always list the "Big five" headed by
Callas, and featuring Gencer,Zeani,Olivero, and Kabaiwanska for my all-time
favorite "Super-Kunst" Divas..Well,I will now make it a sextet, adding my
friend Marisa to the pack.

           Here's to you, Marisa Galvany, whom I met over 35 years ago,as
your physician in Tchaikowsky's Yolantha, with that nice litttle lyric voice
that Armen Boyajian helped to turn into a genuine powerhouse,with all your
many hours of study and hard work and toil upon many opera stages. Glad I was
able to see you in so many great performances and those who share my
enthusiasm are more numerous than you might imagine.
                           Brava Diva!!!!               Charlie