Subject: Re: Don't forget baritones & bassos
From: Mike Fekula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:35:46 -0700

Subject: Don't forget baritones & bassos

>along with Cesare Siepi and Norman Treigle, Weber is one of my
favorite trio of basses in my listening experience.

>Let us never allow the "divo-diva' status of tenors and sopranos to
overlook the likes of the great baritones and basses who surely
rank high in the history of the vocal art. We never hear about
concerts by the "three baritones' or the "three basses." I do
appreciate the Ramey/Hampson CD entitled "NTA"(no tenors allowed)
because it alerts us to the importance of the "other voices" that
surely deserve recognition.

RIGHT ON, Charles!!!!! You are absolutely, positively, 1000% right
about this. This Rookie was drawn to opera in part, by the wonderful
sound of basso profundos, not just by the Three Tenors whom I also
love. My Russian-American background gave me an early appreciation of
the Russian basso profundo, which later mutated into an appreciation
of the Tibetan Buddhist chants which mostly are in the basso range,
and finaly, to the operatic bassos.

>I list below a few more of my personal baritone/basso favorites for
your consideration:

  Richard Bonelli
  Lawrence Tibbett
  Gabriel Bacquier
  Jean Borthayre
   Jose Van Dam
    Pavel Lisitsian
    Leonard Warren
    Giuseppe Taddei
    Paul Schoeffler
    Michael Bohnen
     Georg Hann

    Tancredi Pasero
     Gottlob Frick
      Kurt Moll
       Giulio Neri
        Rene Pape
         Nazareno de Angelis

OK, that is a great list, I will add my favorite, Marti Talvela to
the basso profundo list. Siepi and Frick, absolutely!! Also yes on
Ramey and Hampson to which I would add Hvorostovsky for baritones as
well. Among the bass-baritones, Terfel is wonderful.

You also may want to check out a CD of Russian Orthodox liturgical
chants called 'Basso Profondo" that came out on Russian Harvest last
year. It features the sound of the Russian Orthodox 'Oktavists' and
is absolutely awesome.

Actually, it is shaping up as a good season for bassos at our WashOp
with Raimondi as Don Quichotte, Matti Salminen as Gurnemanz in
Parsifal (alternates with Siegfried Vogel), John Marcus Bindel as the
Secret Police Agent in Consul, and Erwin Schrott as (Le Nozze di)
Figaro (alternates with Simone Alberghini). That ain't chopped liver.

All my best,

Mike Fekula
Rookie In Perpetuity
Washington, DC