Subject: Re: House of Opera
From: Calvin M Goodwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:28:18 EDT

Greetings. House of Opera appears to be a reorganized version of Opera
Classics. I have dealt with both. In general, I would say that HOO is an
improvement on OC: prices are lower; the catalogue gives indications of the
character of the recording (mono/stereo, broadcast/in-house, etc.). Most
important, service is most courteous and cooperative. When I have had
problems with an order, whether regarding billing or items ordered, HOO's
response has been understanding and corrections have been made promptly and
accurately. Given the variable character of the sources from which they work,
sound of items ranges from poor (rarely) to excellent (fairly often). Some of
the issues (the Sills Traviata, the hair-raising Olivero in Langella's
Assunta Spina, the American series - Peter Ibbetson, Merry Mount, Vanessa)
are worth far more than their weight in gold! Finally, a disclaimer: I am not
connected in any business way with HOO and (unfortunately) get no "kick-back"
for my commendation!!                   Calvin M Goodwin