Subject: Re: Demographic Decline in Bohemia? (was Re: To Sing or Not To Sing)
From: James Bodge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:12:19 -0400

At 01:21 PM 4/9/00 -0400, Brian Newhouse wrote:
>*Boheme* performances at the Met--and on this list it's safe to assume you
>mean the Met--"sparsely populated"?  On the audience's side of the
>footlights?  Now that's interesting.
>
>I had always assumed that the Met regarded their Zeffirelli production of
>*Boheme* as so reliable an audience draw that they could schedule dozens of
>performances season after season, not necessarily with anyone in
>particular, as a filler between their more esoteric efforts--and this
>particular cash cow would be hardy enough not to collapse from overwork!

This has reliably proven to be the case in the past - and since its 1982
premiere the production has been missing from the schedule only about two
seasons.  But this year it doesn't seem to be working as well.  There are a
dozen performances between late March and the first week of May - and 7 of
them are on either a Friday or Saturday - that is every weekend from the
time it enters the repertory.  Without a star it is proving to be too many
BOHEMEs.  And with all respect to the talents of Vaduva and Focile, they
aren't as well known in NYC as they should be.  The revival was originally
going to feature Hei Kyung Hong, but she was withdrawn when she took over
the revival of GULIO CESARE.

BOHEME returns to the MET next season, but I bet it gets a rest after that.

Cheers from Boston,

Jim Bodge  [log in to unmask]